Objective: The Development Program aims to support athletes with the perceived talent and ability to reach Elite or Pre-Elite status (NOTE; as at January 2022 the Elite and Pre-Elite Programs are under review) within the next two to three years by focusing on developing the skills needed to progress up the Pathway. Athletes cannot have previously participated on an Eventing Olympic Games, World Championship or Pan American Games team.
Target: Goal of reaching Pre-Elite status within two-three years.
Review/Term: Athletes will be invited to an assessment with the Development Coach. The assessment will allow the Development Coach, with the assistance of additional members of the PAT, to evaluate the combinations more effectively for selection into the Development Program. After the assessments, the PAT will recommend the official 2022 USEF Development Program participants. If selected, athletes will continue to work with Leslie Law for the next six months. Upon the completion of the Eventing Elite Program Task Force’s work, a review of the Development Program selection and retention criteria will be undertaken to ensure the program links with the restructured Elite/Pre Elite programs. Maximum of three years in the Development Program.
Criteria for Development Training List
- Athletes must have finished in the top 20% of a CCI4*-L or the top 15% of a CCI3*-L and within five penalty points of the final winning score, within the previous 12 months.
- Commitment to learning, sports science medicine, business development and personal development.
- The Development Coach may recommend, with support from Performance Advisory Team and the Chair of the Eventing Athletes’ Working Group, additional athlete/horse combinations to be invited to participate in the Development Program that have not met the program criteria.
- Athletes will be required to submit training and competition plans for review within thirty days of being included on the Development Program.
- Athletes must be a Member of the USEF in good standing.
- Participation in an assessment of the athlete/horse combination.
Criteria for Retention on the Development Program
- Participate in 6 monthly Review process and agree Targets and KPIs.
- Meet Targets and KPIs or agree reasons for not meeting the Targets and KPIs
- Communicate with the Development Coach
- Maintain horse power, at least capable of, achieving the Criteria for Selection
- Plan for horse power to match necessary pathway progression and long-term goals.
- Remain a Member of USEF in good standing.