The New FEI Competitor page is intended to provide first time FEI competitors with important information prior to their first event and can be used to easily refence any information for those with inquiries.
Prior to Entering A Competition:
- Check if you are Eligible to compete at the desired level
- Search your FEI Athlete Categorization HERE
- See Appendix 2 of the USEF Eventing Rules for National and FEI eligibility requirements. Please note, U.S. athletes and horses must meet the National eligibility requirements in addition to the FEI eligibility requirements
- As entries can often be submitted several months in advance of a competition, you may submit your entry before you are qualified. However, qualifications then must have been achieved at least 10 days prior to Cross-Country day at the competition if the MER is achieved at a Horse Trial or CCI-S or at least 24 days if the MER is achieved at a CCI-L
- Questions about qualifications? Contact Alison Lloyd at [email protected]
- Check that all required memberships and registrations have been renewed - Membership FAQ
- USEF, USEA and FEI Membership required
- Register yourself and your horse under the FEI Rider Registration tile and FEI Horse Registration tile
- Populate your Commonly Ridden Horses tile on the USEF Dashboard
- All U.S. athletes must have current SafeSport Training before their FEI entry will be submitted.
- Familiarize yourself with the Clean Sport policies HERE
- You can search for an FEI Eventing Competition HERE
How to enter a U.S. FEI competition:
IMPORTANT: Submit your entry declarations before the 4:00 p.m. EST definite date deadline to avoid a $75 late entry fee. You can view Definite Entry Dates for all FEI competitions in the USEF FEI Entry Portal or on FEI Schedule. You are not considered entered in the competition until your entry is submitted in the USEF FEI Entry Portal.
Go to the Athlete Dashboard → FEI Entry → U.S. FEI Competitions → Choose Discipline → Select the Competition → Add Horses → Select Disciplines and/or Tests → Submit
- Make sure that you are entered with the competition through their designated entry process
- You can find this in the omnibus listing on the USEA Website
- All withdraws and horse changes need to be made through the USEF Athlete Dashboard
- Contact [email protected] with questions and issues regarding the USEF FEI Entry Portal
Important Notes Prior to Competition:
Check your existing passport(s): Make a habit of checking all existing passports every year prior to the spring competition season. Make sure vaccinations are up to date and recorded as necessary. Check the expiration date on FEI passports and remember the expiration date format on FEI passports is listed as day/month/year.
New passports and upgrades for breed passports: Review the Passport Guide: How to Apply for a Passport. The following scenarios may cause a delay, when applying for a new passport or upgrade for a breed passport:
- Incomplete vaccination records or insufficient vaccinations.
- Incomplete or incorrect horse description (i.e., whorls, snips, etc. not recorded as required).
- Incomplete information for breed passport upgrades.
Athlete memberships required to compete - Membership FAQ:
- USEF Competing Membership
- USEA membership
- FEI membership
- Current Registrations and Passport: Review Athlete Refernce Guide: Compeiting in the U.S. FEI Comptitions
Horse documents required - Review FEI Registrations Requirements Guide
- USEF National Passport Application or FEI Passport Application
- USEF Life Horse Recording
- USEA Life recording
- National Passport for national events and FEI passport for international
- FEI Horse Registration with Microchip Information (see below)
Owner membership requirements:
- USEA Membership
- USEF membership OR USEF Show Pass
FEI Horse App: In accordance with the FEI Veterinary Regulations, all Horses competing at all FEI Events worldwide must fulfil the Horse Health Requirements via the FEI HorseApp. Sanctions will be issued if the Horse Health Requirements are not fulfilled and the Persons Responsible will be informed accordingly.
- Main Requirements: Below you will find a reminder of the three main requirements you must fulfil for each Horse:
- Take two daily temperature readings for every Horse that will be present at an FEI Event for the three days leading up to the day of arrival and enter these recordings in the FEI HorseApp. For clarification, the three days prior to your arrival at the FEI Event are calculated as per this example: If you plan to arrive at the Event on the Thursday, you will have to enter the temperatures for the three preceding days, which are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Fill in a Horse Health FEI Self-Certification form for all Horses attending an FEI Event. To be filled in and submitted via the FEI HorseApp the day before or the day of arrival at an FEI Event
- Take the temperature of each Horse twice a day at the FEI Event using your own thermometer and record the measurements directly in the FEI HorseApp. Access to the FEI HorseApp is also available for your Grooms and Support Personnel so they can also enter the daily temperature recordings of your Horses. They can connect to the FEI HorseApp with their FEI ID number. If they do not yet have a FEI ID number they can create one here