Katie Flynn, BVMS
Five Biosecurity Tips with Dr. Katie Flynn
About This Video
USEF Senior Staff Veterinarian Katie Flynn presents five tips for keeping horses healthy and preventing disease transmission while at competitions.
- Ensure vaccination records are up to date.
- Take your horse's temperature twice daily and observe for clinical signs of illness for 3-5 days prior to the event.
- Load healthy horses only onto the trailer.
- Limit nose-to-nose contact between horses.
- Limit horses’ contact with humans.
- Avoid communal water.
- Avoid sharing non-disinfected equipment.
- Monitor horse health throughout competitions.
About The Expert
Dr. Katie Flynn joined U.S. Equestrian in 2023. Prior to joining USEF, Dr. Flynn was the Kentucky State Veterinarian, a role she assumed in 2020 when she was working as the Kentucky Department of Agriculture's (KDA) Deputy State Veterinarian. Dr. Flynn came to Kentucky by way of California, where she worked for 18 years as an animal health official, primarily with the California Department of Food and Agriculture.