Welcome To USEF

Sign In To USEF


Show jumping enjoys its place, both nationally and internationally, as one of the most popular and perhaps most recognizable equestrian events, aside from Thoroughbred horse racing. At its highest competitive level, show jumping is recognized as one of the three Olympic equestrian disciplines alongside both dressage and eventing. Essentially, what pole vaulting, high jump and hurdles are to track and field,[...] show jumping is to equestrian sport.

Spectator friendly and easy to understand, the object for the show jumper is to negotiate a series of obstacles, where emphasis is placed on height and width, and to do so without lowering the height (knocking down) or refusing to jump any of the obstacles. The time taken to complete the course is also a factor. The show jumping course tests a horse’s athleticism, agility and tractability while simultaneously testing a rider’s precision, accuracy and responsiveness. While its actual origins remain somewhat unclear, competitive show jumping has nonetheless enjoyed immense popularity worldwide since the early 1900s, and the discipline continues to enjoy growth and prosperity. In today’s show ring, horses and ponies of all sizes and breeds compete in classes representing varying levels of challenge. Likewise, classes exist for virtually every level of rider from the novice amateur to the seasoned international professional. To learn more about the thrilling discipline of show jumping.

Read More

United States Hunter Jumper Association

USEF International Discipline Association

The USHJA, as the National Affiliate for the Hunter/Jumper discipline, promotes the sport and the well-being of its participants, offers broad based education for its members, and provides the framework for the conduct of the sport.

Frequently Asked Questions

FEI Passport

  • How do I apply for an FEI passport for my horse?

    1. The horse must be Life recorded. For a horse recording application, click here.
    2. All owners must be active members of USEF. For a membership application, click here or you can go online to join in your Authorized Users Account.
    3. The owner must be a US citizen. Non-citizens may only apply for FEI Passports with the permission of their own National Federation. Although not required to be USEF members, non-citizens must be members of their National Federation in the country of their citizenship and the horse must also be recorded with that Federation.

    Passport applications can be downloaded from our web site by clicking here or an application can be sent out from the USEF by fax, mail or email. The application must be completed legibly according to the directions and mailed or faxed back to USEF. A passport cannot be issued unless the owner is an active member and the horse is life recorded. Once all information has been verified, an FEI Passport will be issued to the horse. The passport will be sent along with a packet of information for you and your veterinarian explaining how to complete the passport. FEI Horse Passports cost $300 payable by check, MasterCard, or Visa, which must be submitted at the time of application. Allow four to six weeks from start to finish for the passport to be validated and ready for competition.

  • How do I fill out and complete the passport?

    Familiarize yourself with the passport, the horse identification booklet (if you can't find this, you can go get the information from the FEI web site), and the passport directions provided. Make certain that these documents are then given to the veterinarian for use in completing the passport. The cover page of the passport has the horse's name, passport number, and the issue and expiration dates. This passport will remain with the horse for the remainder of its life but must be revalidated every four years. The next area to review is the Details of Ownership section. The owner is responsible for filling out a portion of the Details of Ownership page; this is explained in the directions.

    Next, a licensed equine veterinarian must examine the horse and document their findings in the passport itself. At this point, it is imperative that all material sent with the passport be read carefully - especially by the veterinarian, but also by the owner. Passports are often returned for corrections because the directions were not followed completely and correctly. On the last page of the directions, there is a sample diagram sheet that the veterinarian can use to practice before permanently marking anything in the passport.

    When the veterinarian has completed the diagram and description pages, they must document that the horse has had its primary series of influenza vaccinations. The primary series consists of two influenza vaccinations using the same method of administration (IM or IN) given between 21 to 92 days apart. A booster vaccination must be administered within every SIX MONTHS following the primary series. The booster can be intramuscular or intranasal. This information must be entered in the passport on the influenza pages: date of administration, place, country, name of vaccine, batch number, vet stamp and signature. All details must be recorded in order for the vaccination(s) to be considered valid. Only the veterinarian who administers the vaccine to the horse may record the inoculation in the passport. Transferring vaccines on behalf of another veterinarian is not acceptable. Make sure the veterinarian signs and stamps the passport in the appropriate places (see directions sent with new passports for examples).

    When the passport has been completed, it must be returned to USEF for review and validation. Please note that upon processing at USEF, passports are shipped to the owner at the address listed in the passport.

  • How do I change the horse's name in the passport?

    Name changes in passports are highly discouraged by the FEI. In order to change the name of a horse once it has been issued a passport, a letter signed by the owner requesting the name change must be submitted with the passport and the fee of $800. Passports sent to the USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.

  • How do I change the owner in a passport?

    When a horse with a passport changes owners, the FEI Passport must be given to the new owner. The new owner must transfer the USEF Horse Recording into their name. The fee to transfer the Horse Recording is $60. This must be sent to USEF with a Bill of Sale or the horse's USEF Horse Recording Certificate signed by the previous owner(s) of record. The transfer in the passport requires a completed Change of Ownership/Nationality application and a $30 fee. Passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.

    If the horse is purchased from a non-US citizen and has an FEI passport, not a national passport, the horse must undergo a Change of Nationality if the horse is going to compete in FEI competitions. You will need to Life record your horse with USEF and fill out the Change of Ownership/Nationality application and submit it with $30 fee. Passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.

    For a Change of Ownership/Nationality application, click here.

  • If my horse has a national passport, can I upgrade to an FEI passport?

    When a horse has a national passport that is approved for use by the FEI, that document can be upgraded to an FEI passport. A Recognition Card is bound to the existing national passport to create an official FEI passport for competition. By doing this, the diagram and vaccination records of the horse can be preserved for future use. The existing national passport must be sent to USEF with an application for an FEI Recognition Card and payment of $250. National passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.

    For a Recognition Card application, click here.

  • Why do I need a duplicate passport?

    A Duplicate passport is necessary when an entire passport itself is lost or when certain pages of the passport are filled, damaged or lost. The pages that necessitate duplication of a passport are the Ownership, ID of the Horse Described in this Passport, and Influenza Only pages. It is NOT mandatory to obtain a duplicate passport when the Vaccines Other than Equine Influenza pages are full. These vaccines may be kept under separate cover, such as a vaccination booklet or on letterhead from the veterinarian.

    To obtain a Duplicate, you must return the filled or damaged passport along with a completed Duplicate Passport application and the necessary fee. The cost of a Duplicate passport when the original is filled is $100. Passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed. If the passport is damaged or lost, the cost is $300. New FEI passports will not be issued to horses with existing passports - a duplicate passport must be applied for.

    For the Duplicate Passport application, click here.

    Once the application, passport (if available) and fees are received, a Duplicate passport, similar to a new passport, will be issued. It will be blank and must be completed by your veterinarian. Then is must be returned to the USEF for validation.

  • How do you revalidate a passport?

    FEI Passports stay with the horse for life but must be revalidated every four years. The expiry date is on the front page of the passport. This requires a Revalidation Application and the $175 fee. Do not sent the passport to USEF, only the application (except in cases when the passport also needs Change of Ownership/Nationality). Once the application and fee are received, a sticker will be issued. The sticker must be placed on the front page of the passport in the appropriate box to the right of the issue/expiration dates.

    For a Revalidation application, click here.

FEI Registration Number

Horse Recording/ID

Click here to view the current rulebook.

  • Does my horse have to be recorded?

    Horses must be recorded in order to:

    • To be eligible for USEF Awards and Championship programs. (GR1111)
    • To be eligible to compete in a USEF Computer Ranking List class. (GR1102.2)
    • To be eligible to compete in USEF/USDF qualifying and championship classes and USEF National Championships for Dressage. (DR127)
    • To acquire an FEI or National Passport and FEI Registration number. (GR1103, GR1104)
  • How can I record my horse/renew my horse's recording?

    1. You can record your horse on line. In order to record your horse on line, you must create a My USEF My Way My Account. Click here to sign up. Once you create your My USEF My Way My Account, you can sign in to your account and select the Horse Recording Application/ID. Select the appropriate recording type and year (if annual is selected).

    2. You can submit an application by fax, mail, or hand-delivery to the USEF office. Horse Recording applications can be obtained by contacting the USEF office or printing from the web site (Click here to download).

  • How do I obtain a duplicate recording card/certificate?

    Duplicate annual recording certificates or life recording certificates will be issued for a fee of $10 per certificate. Please contact the USEF office by fax, phone, or mail to request a duplicate card. (GR812.7)

  • I have just bought a horse that is recorded with the United States Equestrian Federation. How do I transfer the ownership?

    For horses with a Life Recording:

    • The transfer fee of $60 must be submitted with the USEF Lifetime Recording certificate signed by the last recorded owner(s) or a copy of a Bill of Sale signed by the last recorded owner(s).

    For horses with an Active Annual Recording:

    • The transfer fee of $60 must be submitted with a copy of a Bill of Sale signed by the last recorded owner(s).
    • The transfer fee will be waived if the member is upgrading the Annual Recording to a Life Recording ($125) when transferring.

    For horses with an Inactive (Expired) Annaul Recording:

    • The expired annual horse recording certificate signed by the last recorded owner(s) or a copy of a Bill of Sale signed by the last recorded owner(s).There is no fee to transfer however the fee Of $75 for Annual Recording or $200 for Lifetime Recording must be submitted with the Horse Application if recording/renewing the horse.

    USEF does not accept agent's signatures as authorization for an ownership transfer. A parent signature is accepted for a minor. If the signature of the last recorded owner is not available, an Ownership Affidavit must be completed and notarized. It must explain why the required signature is not available and submitted with proof of ownership (bill of sale, cancelled check, registration papers).

    Authorization for transfer of ownership within a family (as defined in GR123) may be submitted in writing and signed by the previous owner(s) (parent or legal guardian for minors) and the new owner(s). There is no fee to transfer a horse/pony within a family.

    Transfers become effective the date that the proper forms (with required signature(s)) and fees are received at the USEF office. (GR1105)

  • I am leasing a horse with a USEF recording. How do I register the lease with USEF?

    The lease registration fee of $60 must be submitted to the USEF office with a copy of the lease agreement signed by lessee and lessor. USEF does not accept agent signatures for the purposes of registering a lease. If a written lease agreement is not available, the USEF Lease Registration form must be completed, signed by lessee and lessor, and submitted with the lease registration fee.

    The lease agreement or registration form must indicate a start date and end date of the lease period. For competition purposes, the lease registration is effective the date that the proper fee and form (with required signatures) are received in the USEF office. Once the lease is registered with USEF, the horse/pony must be entered under the ownership of the lessee.

    We do not get involved in the terms of the lease. USEF must have written confirmation by both parties if a lease is extended or if the lease is terminated prior to the expiration date.

    Lessor or lessee must renew the USEF Annual Recording by November 30th. If the lease is extended beyond the previously submitted end date, written notification must be received in the USEF office within 30 days of its original expiration. If the notification is not received within 30 days, the lease must be registered again as stated above (with signed agreement and fee). (GR1108)

  • What is the procedure to change my horse's name?

    In order to change the recorded name of a horse competing in divisions that do not require breed registration, the name change fee of $60 must be submitted with the original Annual Recording card or Life Recording certificate with a written request or completed Name Change Request form signed by the recorded owner(s). (GR1108)

  • Can my application be rushed?

    You can pay the $30 Rush Fee to have your horse's recording processed quickly. The recording application for owners paying the Rush Fee will be processed the day of receipt and a verification of recording will be faxed or emailed to you. Your recording card/certificate will be mailed the next business day.

  • Can I find my Horse ID's/Recording numbers on line?

    Yes. You can sign in to your My USEF My Way My Account and select Horse Portfolio under Horse Options. The horse portfolio will list all the horses under your account. Also you can go to searches from the home page and select the Horse Recording/ID search.

  • Can I obtain a competition record for my horse on line?

    Yes. You can sign in to your My USEF My Way My Account and select Horse Report on the menu. By signing in to your My USEF My Way My Account, you will have the option to access competition records for horses under your ownership. In order to access these reports, you must be listed as an owner, co-owner, or leasee. If you would like a competition record for a horse that is not under your ownership, please contact the appropriate breed/discipline department. For complete instructions on accessing your horse's competition record in the My USEF My Way My Account, click here.

  • How can I update my horse’s information?

    You can update you horse information at any time by sending the information to the office by fax, email, or mail. In order to correct a foal date the USEF office requires proof of foal date (breed registration papers or statement from a vet.)

  • How long does it take to receive my horse’s certificate?

    Your request for a recording, transfer, name change, or lease registration will go into effect the day the paperwork and fees are received by the USEF office. The process can take up to 30 business days in order for the request to be processed and for a new certificate to be printed and mailed.

  • If my horse is owned by a farm, do the owners of the farm have to be members?

    If a horse is owned by a farm or any other entity, only one principal owner of the farm or entity needs to be a Federation Senior Active, Junior active or Life member or pay a non-member fee of $30 per competition. To be eligible for Horse of the Year Awards, a farm or any other entity that owns a horse(s) must also obtain an exhibitor registration pursuant to GR1106.

  • My horse is owned by a farm, who do I list as the owner on the entry blank?

    According to GR1106, entries may be made in a name other than that of an individual for Horse of the Year Awards, provided such name (Stable/Farm, Corporation, etc.) is registered with the Federation. All applications for registration of a Stable/Farm, Corporation, etc. must be signed be each of the bona fide owners of the Stable/Farm, Corporation, etc. The fee for each (Stable/Farm, Corporation, etc.) registration is $200.

  • If my horse is owned by a farm and I do not want Horse of the Year points does the Farm have to pay the $200 registration fee to be recognized by the Federation and do all owners of the farm have to be Federation members?

    If you do not want Horse of the Year points and your horse is owned by a Farm or any other entity, an active Farm recording is not required. One owner of the farm must be a Senior active, Junior active or a Life member of the Federation or pay a $30 non-member fee per competition. This Farm or entity must also request a Farm ID from the Federation. For more information on how to obtain a Farm ID number without paying the $200 Farm registration fee you can e-mail Cathie Goodenow at [email protected].

  • If I decide to cancel an application submitted to USEF, can I request a refund?

    USEF does issue refunds for applications that could not be processed if requested. If the request was processed, a refund will not be issued. A processing fee of $5.00 is withheld from all refunds.


  • I am a lifetime member; do I have to pay this fee?


  • I am competing in a 1* or 2* event. Do I have to pay this?

    Yes, all FEI competitors must pay the fee at all FEI levels.

  • What is the IHP?

    The IHP or International High Performance Fee is used to promote the High Performance programs. The IHP fee is $35 per entry at defined competitions as noted in GR207. The fee is capped at $420 per competition year. Please refer to the USEF website for policy and instructions on requesting reimbursement for payments over $420 in the same competition year. An entry is defined as each horse, horse/vaulter combination, vaulting team, or driving single, pair or team. Competition secretaries are responsible for collecting the fees and sending them to USEF with the post-competition report.

Back to Top