• USEF Network The winner of the $100,000 CSI 3* Grand Prix presented by Split Rock Farm, Inc.‚Äč is Kevin Babington with Shorapur! #SRJT15 5/24/2015 4:43:20 PM
  • USEF Network Margie Engle and Royce jump clear with a 40.14 time. #SRJT2015 5/24/2015 4:39:17 PM
  • USEF Network Meagan Nusz and Sri Aladdin jump clear in 43.59 seconds #SRJT2015 5/24/2015 4:37:08 PM
  • USEF Network Kevin Babington and Shorapur have a clear round and a time of 39.25 to take the lead. #SRJT2015 5/24/2015 4:33:56 PM
  • USEF Network Ali Wolff and Brianda finish on eight jumping faults and a time of 44.30 #SRJT2015 5/24/2015 4:31:55 PM
  • USEF Network David Beisel and Call Me Hannes have four jumping faults in 44.32 seconds. #SRJT2015 5/24/2015 4:30:07 PM
  • USEF Network Andres Rodriguez and Darlon Von Groenhove have a clear round with a time of 40.70. #SRJT2015 5/24/2015 4:26:45 PM
  • USEF Network Charlie Jayne and Valeska finishes with four jumping faults in 41.37 seconds. 5/24/2015 4:24:34 PM
  • USEF Network Meagan Nusz and Leoville 2 has a clear jump-off with a time of 46.99. 5/24/2015 4:22:40 PM
  • USEF Network Kaitlin Campbell and Rocky W jump clear in 40.69 seconds #SRJT2015 5/24/2015 4:20:39 PM

Welcome To USEF

Sign In To USEF


FEI Passport

Q: How do I apply for an FEI passport for my horse?
A: 1. The horse must be Life recorded. For a horse recording application, click here.
2. All owners must be active members of USEF. For a membership application, click here or you can go online to join in your Authorized Users Account.
3. The owner must be a US citizen. Non-citizens may only apply for FEI Passports with the permission of their own National Federation. Although not required to be USEF members, non-citizens must be members of their National Federation in the country of their citizenship and the horse must also be recorded with that Federation.

Passport applications can be downloaded from our web site by clicking here or an application can be sent out from the USEF by fax, mail or email. The application must be completed legibly according to the directions and mailed or faxed back to USEF. A passport cannot be issued unless the owner is an active member and the horse is life recorded. Once all information has been verified, an FEI Passport will be issued to the horse. The passport will be sent along with a packet of information for you and your veterinarian explaining how to complete the passport. FEI Horse Passports cost $300 payable by check, MasterCard, or Visa, which must be submitted at the time of application. Allow four to six weeks from start to finish for the passport to be validated and ready for competition.
Back To Top

Q: How do I fill out and complete the passport?
A: Familiarize yourself with the passport, the horse identification booklet (if you can't find this, you can go get the information from the FEI web site), and the passport directions provided. Make certain that these documents are then given to the veterinarian for use in completing the passport. The cover page of the passport has the horse's name, passport number, and the issue and expiration dates. This passport will remain with the horse for the remainder of its life but must be revalidated every four years. The next area to review is the Details of Ownership section. The owner is responsible for filling out a portion of the Details of Ownership page; this is explained in the directions.

Next, a licensed equine veterinarian must examine the horse and document their findings in the passport itself. At this point, it is imperative that all material sent with the passport be read carefully - especially by the veterinarian, but also by the owner. Passports are often returned for corrections because the directions were not followed completely and correctly. On the last page of the directions, there is a sample diagram sheet that the veterinarian can use to practice before permanently marking anything in the passport.

When the veterinarian has completed the diagram and description pages, they must document that the horse has had its primary series of influenza vaccinations. The primary series consists of two influenza vaccinations using the same method of administration (IM or IN) given between 21 to 92 days apart. A booster vaccination must be administered within every SIX MONTHS following the primary series. The booster can be intramuscular or intranasal. This information must be entered in the passport on the influenza pages: date of administration, place, country, name of vaccine, batch number, vet stamp and signature. All details must be recorded in order for the vaccination(s) to be considered valid. Only the veterinarian who administers the vaccine to the horse may record the inoculation in the passport. Transferring vaccines on behalf of another veterinarian is not acceptable. Make sure the veterinarian signs and stamps the passport in the appropriate places (see directions sent with new passports for examples).

When the passport has been completed, it must be returned to USEF for review and validation. Please note that upon processing at USEF, passports are shipped to the owner at the address listed in the passport.
Back To Top

Q: How do I change the horse's name in the passport?
A: Name changes in passports are highly discouraged by the FEI. In order to change the name of a horse once it has been issued a passport, a letter signed by the owner requesting the name change must be submitted with the passport and the fee of $800. Passports sent to the USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.
Back To Top

Q: How do I change the owner in a passport?
A: When a horse with a passport changes owners, the FEI Passport must be given to the new owner. The new owner must transfer the USEF Horse Recording into their name. The fee to transfer the Horse Recording is $60. This must be sent to USEF with a Bill of Sale or the horse's USEF Horse Recording Certificate signed by the previous owner(s) of record. The transfer in the passport requires a completed Change of Ownership/Nationality application and a $30 fee. Passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.

If the horse is purchased from a non-US citizen and has an FEI passport, not a national passport, the horse must undergo a Change of Nationality if the horse is going to compete in FEI competitions. You will need to Life record your horse with USEF and fill out the Change of Ownership/Nationality application and submit it with $30 fee. Passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.

For a Change of Ownership/Nationality application, click here.
Back To Top

Q: If my horse has a national passport, can I upgrade to an FEI passport?
A: When a horse has a national passport that is approved for use by the FEI, that document can be upgraded to an FEI passport. A Recognition Card is bound to the existing national passport to create an official FEI passport for competition. By doing this, the diagram and vaccination records of the horse can be preserved for future use. The existing national passport must be sent to USEF with an application for an FEI Recognition Card and payment of $250. National passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed.

For a Recognition Card application, click here.
Back To Top

Q: Why do I need a duplicate passport?
A: A Duplicate passport is necessary when an entire passport itself is lost or when certain pages of the passport are filled, damaged or lost. The pages that necessitate duplication of a passport are the Ownership, ID of the Horse Described in this Passport, and Influenza Only pages. It is NOT mandatory to obtain a duplicate passport when the Vaccines Other than Equine Influenza pages are full. These vaccines may be kept under separate cover, such as a vaccination booklet or on letterhead from the veterinarian.

To obtain a Duplicate, you must return the filled or damaged passport along with a completed Duplicate Passport application and the necessary fee. The cost of a Duplicate passport when the original is filled is $100. Passports sent to USEF with influenza vaccinations that are not properly documented and up to date will not be processed. If the passport is damaged or lost, the cost is $300. New FEI passports will not be issued to horses with existing passports - a duplicate passport must be applied for.

For the Duplicate Passport application, click here.

Once the application, passport (if available) and fees are received, a Duplicate passport, similar to a new passport, will be issued. It will be blank and must be completed by your veterinarian. Then is must be returned to the USEF for validation.
Back To Top

Q: How do you revalidate a passport?
A: FEI Passports stay with the horse for life but must be revalidated every four years. The expiry date is on the front page of the passport. This requires a Revalidation Application and the $175 fee. Do not sent the passport to USEF, only the application (except in cases when the passport also needs Change of Ownership/Nationality). Once the application and fee are received, a sticker will be issued. The sticker must be placed on the front page of the passport in the appropriate box to the right of the issue/expiration dates.

For a Revalidation application, click here.
Back To Top